Pygmalion Gallery/ The House of Arts

Episcop Augustin Pacha Street 8

The House of Arts is a multidisciplinary centre, with places dedicated to exhibitions and spectacles. The institution aims towards bringing on stage artists from various culture fields and offering cultural manifestations for all ages, joining elements of multiculturalism and interdisciplinarity. It also hosts the HQ of OAR (The Order of Romanian Architects), thus joining architecture and arts together. The House of Arts, together with the Pygmallion Gallery, is a heritage building that stands out from the others with its baroque ornaments. It was opened to the public in 2006 after it was restored by the architect Ştefan Sturdza. The building itself dates back to the 18th century, when its first owner was Johann Lechner, civil leatherworker. Between 1791 and 1947, the building functioned as a printing house, publishing house, newspaper editorial office or library. In 1888, Uhrmann Heinrich printed the Romanian weekly newspaper “Foaia de Duminică”. On 15th of March 1815, Josef Klapka sets up the first public library with a reading room in the Habsburg Empire.



   
Foundation      
Team      
Partners      
Volunteers      
Press      
2015 Edition      
Contact      
                    
   
Foundation      
Team      
Partners      
Volunteers      
Press      
2015 Edition      
Contact